Nelson Brands and Zach Glazier have been named the Iowa Wrestling Fan Blog & Podcast Wrestler of the Week for the week ending November 24. Brands and Glazier both had an outstanding weekend and earned the award for the second straight week.
Brands competed in his first Iowa-Iowa State dual meet and won an exciting match in overtime over #7 ranked Sam Colbray, 4-3 TB1. Brands once again showed the hustle and aggressiveness in a match to defeat a nationally ranked wrestler for the second week in a row. Brands is now 2-0 on the season with wins over the #21 and #7 ranked wrestlers in the country. Brands is a redshirt freshman from Iowa City, Iowa (West HS).
Zach Glazier captured a title in the Fresh/Soph division at 197 lbs. at the Lindenwood Open in St. Charles, Missouri on Saturday. Glazier won by a 17-2 tech fall in the finals over Evan Brooks of Maryville University. Overall, Glazier was 4-0 with a pin, a tech fall, and two major decisions and also received a medical forfeit. For the season, Glazier is 9-0 with three pins, two tech falls, and four major decisions. Glazier is a true freshman from Albert Lea, Minnesota (Area HS).
The criteria for Iowa Wrestling Fan Blog & Podcast Wrestler of the Week is an Iowa wrestler that performs at an elite level that best represents Iowa Wrestling in the form of a dominating performance, a come from behind victory, or defeating a higher ranked opponent.
The Iowa Hawkeyes are in action next when they host #4 ranked Wisconsin in legendary Carver-Hawkeye Arena at 7 PM Sunday, December 1.
Iowa-Iowa State dual meet
184 — Nelson Brands (IA) dec. #7 Sam Colbray (ISU), 4-3 TB1
Lindenwood Open Black Division (Fresh/Soph) 197 lbs.
- Champ. Round 1 – Zach Glazier (Iowa) won by fall over Chanden Morgan (MacMurray) (Fall 1:12)
- Champ. Round 2 – Zach Glazier (Iowa) won by major decision over Blake Barrick (Liberty) (Maj 16-4)
- Quarterfinal – Zach Glazier (Iowa) won by medical forfeit over Alecznader Moore (MacMurray) (MFF)
- Semifinal – Zach Glazier (Iowa) won by major decision over Nick Willham (Indiana) (Maj 16-4)
- 1st Place Match – Zach Glazier (Iowa) won by tech fall over Evan Brooks (Maryville University) (TF 17-2)
It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.